When you choose to bring a dog into your home, you do so in anticipation of him having a long, healthy and happy life with you. However, for this to be possible, you have to be responsible for all aspects of his care. There are lots of different things that you will need to consider for complete canine care, but one of the most important is preventative medication, and in particular, protection against heartworms.
Heartworms are arguably the deadliest parasite that can affect your furry friend. Dogs are the natural host of this worm, which can grow up to a foot in length. Heartworms live in the blood vessels of the lungs and heart where they feed off your dog’s blood to survive. Once they reach adulthood, they can reproduce, causing their numbers to swell and this compromises blood flow, causing damage to your dog’s major organs. Eventually, their numbers can become so large that blood flow is completely blocked, causing shock and organ failure. If heartworm isn’t detected and treated promptly, it can cause irreversible damage to your pet’s body, and in many cases, will prove fatal.
Fortunately, there are preventative treatments available. One, in particular, has been shown to offer unrivaled protection against these deadly parasites for an entire year with just one dose. This preventative is called ProHeart 12.
What is ProHeart 12?
ProHeart 12 is an injectable heartworm preventative that can only be administered by veterinary professionals. Unlike ProHeart 6, which only protects against heartworms for six months before re-administration is needed, a dose of ProHeart 12 can keep your dog safe for an entire year.
ProHeart 12 is administered just like any other vaccine. A single shot is given that causes your pet to feel a momentary scratch. There is no downtime and protection begins immediately.
Why you should choose ProHeart 12 to protect your dog against heartworms
With so many preventatives available, it can be tricky to decide which is the right one for your pet. Here are some of the reasons why you should make ProHeart 12 your first choice of protection for your canine pal.
- Unlike many other preventatives which need to be given monthly, you only need to remember to attend a single, annual appointment for your dog to receive ProHeart 12 and can even schedule this into his usual annual wellness check.
- ProHeart 12 is FDA approved and a safe and effective preventative.
- The process of administering ProHeart 12 is simple and ensures that your dog gets the entire dose at once. There is no need to be concerned that he hasn’t received the full amount – something which is often the case with oral preventatives.
- Your dog has complete, year-round protection. This is important as mosquitos, which are responsible for spreading heartworm larvae, have been shown to survive colder temperatures, putting pets at risk all year round.
- ProHeart 12 can also protect your dog against hookworms, another type of internal parasite.
If you would like to find out more information about ProHeart 12, please get in touch with our veterinary offices where our expert team of professionals will be delighted to help.